Cycle accidents – taking the pain away for employees…
While cycling is a positive choice for an employee’s health and wellbeing, and many employers offer Bikes to Work as part of a comprehensive benefits package, there is no doubt that riding on the road can be hazardous.
In fact, did you know that over 130,000 cycle accidents happen every year on UK roads? Injury is more likely because you’re not protected inside the steel shell of a vehicle.
What are some of the reasons for the number of cycle accidents?
- Cyclists are less visible and often unseen.
- Traffic is getting more congested all the time.
- Some drivers just aren’t paying attention.
- Many roads are in a poor state of disrepair.
- British weather can make things hazardous.
- You’re more vulnerable when you’re cycling.
Cycle Accident Support Scheme
This week has been Road Safety Week* raising awareness about how we can all play a part in making journeys safer for everyone including cyclists. However, if one of your employees was unfortunately involved in a cycle accident, how could you help them take the pain away?
Well, you could consider offering a cycling accident support scheme. It helps employees get back on their bike quickly, safely and with a lot less cost and hassle than trying to manage the situation on their own. They can get access to:
- a replacement bike like their own
- professional cycle repair
- private treatment if they’re injured
- legal support when they want it
- UK based helpline
- help with pothole related accidents
- membership for all of the family
The good news is that with BenefitHut® from You at Work we include cycle accident support as part of our Lite and Standard offering and employees get their first three months’ membership for free!
*Road Safety Week 2021 is organised by Brake and supports the Department for Transport’s Think! campaign.